Saturday 26 March 2011

introduction

Ok, so after a long time of reading many amazing blogs from many amazing eole who are affected in some way with autism, i decided i would write my own blog. I have three beautiful children, one of whom has ASD and SD. I think my eldest daughter may also have SPD but not enough to diagnose. My husband also has ASD and OCD. Thats one of the first things I realised during the diagnosis process, the amount of abbreviations and acronyms we are supposed to know. It is so confusing when you read something and half the report is full of abbreviations. I feel like I need a degree to understand it all! So the basic aacronyms
 i have learned, ASD stands for Autism Spectrum Disorder, SPD stands for Sensory Processing Disorder and OCD stands for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. Oh and of course...WLKS standing for weird little kid syndrome.
My eldest Daughter, Jarrah is 6. she is such a smart and beautiful girl, very sensative and shy at times. She has gorgeous long red wavy hair and cute freckles.
Hayley is 4, she has recently been diagnosed with asergers syndrome and sensory processing disorder. This has been a long time coming as we have known right from when she was bron that something was different about her.
Benjamin is my youngest. He is 19 months old. He is such a vibrant and happy boy, with no signs of any developmental problems or anything.
My husband, Peter, was diagnosed with ASD and OCD during the process or getting Hayley diagnosed. It makes sense of a LOT of problems!!!
On top of all this, I have been suffering with PND, yet another acronym, meaning Post Natal Depression. I love to learn and research things so i hope I can share insight and information on various issues as i go! thanks for reading. :)

BTW, I G2G, so TTFN,  :)
Bek

1 comment:

  1. From the paeds and child health nurses I used to work with
    WLK - weird looking kid
    FWLK - well you can imagine

    Was always a bit of a (badtaste) joke and also that professional short hand that tends to happen to get a message across in a quick mutually understood way. Sounds terrible but sometimes kids were just odd looking as had some syndrome that they hadnt figured out yet. terribly offensive when you look at it in black and white but I did see it used to effect a few times to get a 2nd opinion when one medico not sure whats going on for a kid and wanting another look at it but they couldnt pin point what was going on for a kid or they didnt fit a particular condition. Hard to get common ground sometimes amongst professionals and I guess this was one of those internal "codes". On the flipside though do also remember going to a meeting where it was actually raised that some staff (idiots) had written WLK/FWLK in someones file. Duh!
    And of course now as a parent - heartbreaking to even think of own kids (or anyone elses for that matter) referred to in this way.

    ReplyDelete